Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Almost Home

The hall outside my room is covered in maps.  People have been using magnets to hang their maps outside so people can sign them, or carrying the maps around the catch people as they walk.  Everyone is saying their goodbyes and getting sentimental.  It’s been a long voyage, but it seems like it has gone by really fast.  The day after tomorrow we will be docking in San Diego and all heading home.  Today I went to two different workshops about dealing with being back home and reverse culture shock.  They both made me really sad.  I don’t think I am going to have too many problems, but I will definitely miss having my friends knock on my door at random times of the day to ask if I want to watch the Office or to just sit in my cabin and talk about random life issues.

            Anyway, the last few days we have had a couple of things going on.  The last worship service was a couple of nights ago.  It went really well.  We all signed a map with our prayers, which we are hoping to leave for the next group to sign it as well.  We ended the last service with the song ‘He Reigns’ by the Newsboys.  That song has been one of my favorites to play during the voyage because the lyrics mention all of the places we have been.

            Last night was the alumni ball.  It was kind of weird to get dressed up after not even wearing makeup for the past three months.  We had a special dinner where Liz K, Liz O, Paige, Matt, Caitlin, and I all sat together.  After that we watched a video and a slideshow, one made by the student alumni council and the other made by the ship’s photographer.  That was followed by the dessert bar, during which I ate way too many sugary things (I know because I had a terrible dream that I got really sick from eating so much).  Then there was dancing.  I only stayed for about an hour because it was crowded and people kept running into me.  Despite that, it was a pretty fun night.

            I am excited to get home and start my next adventure, but I am dreading having to say goodbye to my friends.  After getting used to seeing them nearly 24/7, it will be a strange adjustment to going back to our different parts of the world and only being able to talk on phone or Skype.  I don’t really want to think about that too much right now, though.  We just have one more full day on the ship and most of my things are already packed.  Anyway, I should get to bed now since we have our last time change tonight and I want to get to breakfast tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. You don't have to say goodbye to your friends. Just catch a plane and knock on their doors and ask to watch The Office.

    ReplyDelete